Sri Lankan Officials Sanctioned by the Canadian Government
In January 2023, the Canadian government sanctioned four Sri Lankan officials: Gotabaya Rajapaksa, Mahinda Rajapaksa, Sunil Ratnayake and Chandana Prasad Hettiarachchi.
That’s because the Canadian government believes that these four individuals are responsible for gross and systemic human rights violations during the war.
What does this mean for you?
If you are a Canadian citizen or company, or a non-Canadian individual or company in Canada, it is illegal for you to engage in most deals with these individuals. This could include deals in real estate, money and digital assets. It could also include property that is partially or indirectly owned or controlled by one of these individuals: for example, real estate owned by a company which one of these individuals control.
You could be engaging in criminal activity if you, directly or indirectly:
- Engage in business with these individuals
- Facilitate deals for or on behalf of these individuals
- Provide services, including financial services to these individuals
- Provide goods to these individuals, and/or
- Provide goods or services to third-parties which are ultimately for the benefit of sanctioned individuals