[ Channel 4 News ]
A key Tamil Tiger leader has spoken exclusively to Channel 4 News, saying their chief is still alive and they want a political solution. Alex Thomson reports. image In an exclusive interview, LTTE Tamil Tigers head of international relations Selvarajah Pathmanathan said:
– Tamil Tiger leader Velupillai Prabhakaran is in the beseiged zone with 2000 Tamil fighters
– He spoke to by phone to Prabakharan for four hours and the orders to lay down arms came from him
– This is not a surrender, they are laying down arms to protect 25,000 injured Tamils in the area
– 3000 civilians have been killed in the area in the last 24 hours
– The doctors who were speaking to the outside world have escaped but one is injured and another has been arrested and is in a Sri Lankan military camp
– The Tamil Tigers did not fire on civilians or take human shields.